Sunday, 23 August 2026

MIDGARD

 Inspired by the fine chaps at the Tyneside Wargames Club I have had a few games of Midgard. I joined the club recently and been made very welcome. I have had a couple of grand games, Death in the Dark Continent and Midgard. 

The former was completely new to me in both the rules and the setting, I have since downloaded a free low page ruleset provided by North Star Nick so I can have a better look at the game. 

Midgard is a set of rules that I bought when they first came out, I played them solo a fair bit then and I revisited them last year and played a series of battles with my Warhammer toys. But having a solo knockabout and seeing them played by experienced players who know the finer points of the game was an eye opener for me, I just had to give Midgard some more table time so X Wing got the bum's rush and out came a bunch of Viking Raiders and some Byzantines...

First blood, just for a laugh the Norsemen issued a challenge, Phil the Greek bonked Ulla on the head hard and reputation gained was more than lost.

Then Basil's boys advanced.


The Vikings were raring for a fight.


And counter attacked.





Basil and his Kataphraktoi broke through only to be confronted by a second line of Vikings.

And most of his horsemen were falling back or routing.


The already wounded Viking chieftain was killed in the fight with Basil's Kataphraktoi.

But the Kataphraktoi were routed and a wounded Basil had to find refuge with his Kavallaroi.

Despite losing their leader the Vikings win 8 to minus 4.

A good game with lots of heroic actions, wounded heroes and dicey fun. I learned a few things too.



2 comments:

  1. Looks like a cracking game, always enjoyed Midgard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil, it does play well.
      Regards,
      Paul.

      Delete